Sunday, August 26, 2012

Overlook Rock Trail




Brea did pretty well on this hike.  She acted afraid only a couple of times; as usual, I couldn't figure out what it was that was spooking her, and she needed a little encouragement to get past those places.

More than once I was reminded why it's important to try to keep both hands free (except for the leash).  The trail was dry but leaves and loose dirt made for poor traction in some places, and there was one really bad moment where I slipped and had a lot of trouble recovering my balance.  My flailing scared Brea and she bolted and fell over a short drop, but neither of us was hurt.

I think we'll stick to easier trails from now on, until we have more experience hiking together.  Alone, I think I would have been okay, but in this forest dogs have to be leashed, and Brea isn't ready to be off leash.  Going uphill with the dog was easier than coming downhill, and that's when I nearly wiped out.

No comments:

Post a Comment