Sunday, February 24, 2013

Walking
 
 
This weekend, after a couple of near falls on the steps in front of my house, I realized that I've neglected a really, really important part of Siri's training: how to walk on leash without pulling. She's only four months old and weighs nearly as much as Brea, and she's getting hard to control while on the leash.  She's easily distracted and has poor impulse control, like any puppy, and tries to go in any direction she wants.

So, yesterday, we started working on walking the way the Cesar Millan the Dog Whisperer does, with me in front and the dogs behind me or next to me, not pulling ahead.  More exercise, now that Siri has recovered from being spayed and her incision healed, more exercise and longer walks.  It's been exhausting for all of us but they're starting to get the idea.

Actually, before I got Siri, Brea was one of the easiest dogs I've ever walked, but she's followed Siri's example, so lately I've been trying to walk two strong dogs.  Brea is a lot more attentive than Siri and submits more willingly to walking the way I want.
 

I don't think I'm being unrealistic, but I'd like Siri to be able to be walked by someone like my mom, who probably weighs 90 pounds, without being dragged down the street.  I'd like both dogs to be that well-mannered.  And I'd really like for this to happen before baseball season starts, because right now, there's no way I'll get Siri past the Little League crowds without her wanting to say hi to each and every one of the people there.


No comments:

Post a Comment