Friday, December 7, 2012

New Puppy

There's a new puppy in the house and Brea isn't sure what to think about her.

Brea looked like she was wondering, "What the hell is this?"
She also wants whatever puppy is eating.
Puppy and Neighbor Cat are getting along fine.
Brea has almost always shown an intense interest in other dogs that we meet outside on walks.  The only ones that she doesn't seem to like are two aggressive, yappy neighbor dogs.  She's been fine with everyone else.  So when a former coworker asked me if I were interested in a puppy, I thought that Brea might like having another dog to play with and to keep her company while I'm at work.

The new puppy - name undecided - is part German Shepherd and part husky, and is seven weeks old.  She was one of eight born on October 17.  So far, whenever she barks, Brea jumps.  Once, when Brea stepped on her and made her yelp, Brea retreated to the top of the stairs.

I think that they'll work things out eventually, if the puppy survives.  I say that because tonight I stepped on her foot.  She cried so much and seemed in so much pain that I took her back to the vet (got her first checkup and shots this afternoon), where she had her leg x-rayed.  Nothing broken, probably just a soft tissue injury.  Came home with Rimadyl, an anti-inflammatory, and instructions to not play too hard for a few days.

We had been waiting for some other dog walkers to pass.  While standing there, I didn't notice puppy start chewing on my shoelace.  When I started to move, I tripped and stepped on her.  It's been a long time since I had a puppy this young and this small.  I have a lot to re-learn.

Puppy weighs twelve pounds.

"Please watch where you're going!"

I've been considering the names Missy or Sahiela (pronounced Sheila). What do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment