Monday, June 4, 2012

On Wednesday, May 30, I found a voicemail on my phone from Davonda (sp?) at the kennel at Animal Care Associates.  They were boarding a dog there whose owners were splitting up and moving, and the dog needed a new home.  She said I was the first person she thought of calling.


I had Friday off, so I made arrangments to come up and take a look at the dog.  The dog was Brea, a beautiful brown ("champagne") and white pit bull, about a year and a half old.

I got permission to bring her home with me for a few hours on Saturday.  We walked around the park  and hung out at the house.  She explored the house while I took a nap.  The neighbor's cat hissed at her, but she didn't seem bothered.





On Sunday, I spoke on the phone with Natalie, Brea's owner, and told her I was still interested in having Brea come live with me.  She called the kennel and told them I would be coming to get her.  I was there in ten minutes.

We walked a lot Sunday afternoon and evening.  You can tell that Brea has spent a lot of time in a kennel or in a crate, because she can hold her bladder and bowels longer than any dog I've ever seen.  Maybe she was just being bashful, not wanting to go in front of me.  Sorry, Brea.

Brea is very timid, and easily startled.  I don't know a lot about her previous life, except that she lived with other more dominant dogs.  Natalie also told me that she didn't think that Brea had been around men before.  So we have a lot to do, getting to know each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment